Do you or a family member find it challenging to remember when to take your medications? Or, as a pharmacist, are you looking for a way to help your patients manage medication in your role as a key member of the overall healthcare system? Well, there’s a simple solution to both of those scenarios…
Monitored Dosage System (MDS) is a medication management tool that organises a patient’s solid oral dose medication according to the day of the week and the time of day it should be taken. Also known as a blister pack, MDS is ideal for patients taking multiple medications throughout the day.
Prepared by a licence pharmacy professional, MDS packs are primarily used in the community as more care is managed at home, and they are also used in care homes to help healthcare providers administer medication correctly to patients in their care.
Using MDS packs provides a number of benefits for patients, their families, pharmacists and the broader healthcare system.
Patients and families
- Helps the patient adhere to the timely administration of multiple medications throughout the day
- Prepared and dispensed by a pharmacist, MDS packs eliminate the need for patients or family members to organize the medications themselves
- Significantly minimises the risk of missed or extra medication doses Patients can gain a better understanding of their medication, improving adherence and, therapeutic outcomes
- Prepare the patient’s MDS packs on a weekly basis to include only current medications.
- With regular refills, the pharmacist can closely monitor their patients’ medication usage
- Dispensing by a licence pharmacy professional decreases medication errors, ensuring safer treatment for the patient
- MDS blister packs protect and secure the medication in a convenient pack
- Provide better care and individualised service to patients, , which can impact patients’ well-being and quality of life
- Use of blister packs may reduce unnecessary hospital or care home admissions resulting from continued medication non-adherence – either taking too little or too much, or improperly mixing the timing of doses
- Contribute to medication waste reduction since medications are administered in a timely fashion, leading to less wasted medication and reduced stock hoarding.
- MDS packs provide a monitoring system for patients’ medication adherence levels.
If you are looking for a way to simplify the task of taking your medication, then ask your pharmacist today about a Venalink MDS blister pack. This simple system has only two components – a blister and a card, and there are different formats to suit varying patient lifestyles and medication regimes.
If you are a pharmacist, you can choose from Venalink’s wide range of MDS products to serve both your patients in the community, as well as those in care homes – from the weekly high-capacity Qube card or twice daily AM/PM card to a monthly system, in either cold or heat seal versions. And, all you need is a roller and tray to get started.
To learn more about how MDS packs can help you manage your medication or how you can help your patients optimize their well-being, get in touch with one of our experts today. Contact us on +44 (0)1244 287050 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Medication made simple.